Friday 7 November 2014

Me Before You by Jojo Moyes

Moyes, Jojo. Me Before You. New York, N.Y: Pamela Dorman Books/Viking, 2012. Print. 978-0-14-312454-2; Paperback; $16.00.

Annotation: 
Louisa Clark loses her job and is forced to confront her small town life and small time ambitions when she begins looking after a gorgeous young man with a paralyzed body and a terrible secret.


Book Talk:
Louisa Clark was a spunky, adventuresome adolescent until the unspeakable happened seven years ago and now she lives a quiet life in a tiny town shuffling to and from work, seeing her boyfriend Patrick and squabbling with her sister under her parents’ roof.  When she is laid off from her coffee girl job and faced with the big unknown she discovers a surprising ally in her cantankerous, bullying, and devastatingly gorgeous new boss, Will.  Will Traynor has also come up against his own unspeakable tragedy, an accident which has left him wheelchair-bound and mostly paralyzed. 
Here’s an example of their dialogue when Will and Louisa attend a fancy marriage of Will’s former girlfriend.  She’s been feeding him and helping him at the reception:

“You know, you would never have let those breasts so close to me if I weren’t in a wheelchair,’ he murmured.
I looked back at him steadily. ‘You would never have looked at my breasts if you hadn’t been in a wheelchair.’
‘What? Of course I would.’
‘Nope. You would have been far too busy looking at the tall blonde girls with the endless legs and the big hair, the ones who can smell an expense account at forty paces. And anyway, I wouldn’t have been here. I would have been serving the drinks over there. One of the invisibles.’
He blinked.
‘Well? I’m right, aren’t I?’
Will glanced over at the bar, then back at me. ‘Yes. But in my defense, Clark, I was an arse.” 

As Louisa begins to uncover the sensitive, endearing personality Will is trying so hard to mask, she also learns of a Will’s plan to take control back over his own life – at any cost.  Read this intriguing tale to find out if Louisa and Will can learn to live with their own personal tragedies and help each other along the way.

Available in ebook, hardcover, paperback, audio CD, and audio download.  It is also being made into a movie!

No comments:

Post a Comment